Great Orme's Head, Llandudno, Caernarfonshire (Gwynedd), North Wales. Location map
 
  Photo on the Great Orme's Head, Gwynedd, North Wales   The Great Orme's Head.

An idyllic landscape showing Gorse blooms and Hawthorn blossom in the foreground with sheep grazing beyond. The top edge of the limestone cliffs can also be seen.

This view was on the public footpath from near the tramway half-way station to St. Tudno's Church.

 

Enlarge Comment  
 
 
St. Tudno's Church on the Great Orme's Head, Llandudno, Gwynedd, North Wales
  The Great Orme's Head, Llandudno.

The church of St. Tudno dating from the 12th century. This church has been 'restored' many times and few of the original features remain. There used to be some medieval wall paintings but these were lost during one of the earlier restorations.

The current font dates from the 12th century.

 

Enlarge Comment  
 
  Photo of the view looking north from the top of the Great Orme's Head, Llandudno, Gwynedd, Snowdonia, North Wales   The Great Orme's Head.

The view from the highest point on the Great Orme looking south. The obvious scar in the near distance is the old Bishop's Quarry.

The Bishop's Palace, which once stood on the west of the headland overlooking Conwy Bay, was built towards the end of the 13th century using rock from this quarry.

Enlarge Comment  
 
  Photo of a tram car on the Great Orme's Head, Llandudno, Gwynedd, Snowdonia, North Wales   The Great Orme's Head.

The Great Orme Tramway runs from Llandudno to the top of the Great Orme in two sections. The lower section was opened in 1902 and the upper section in 1903. Passengers change sections at the half-way station.

It is cable driven with each car being permanently attached to the cable. When one car is going up there is always another car coming down.

Enlarge Comment More of the Great Orme Tramway