The Dutch Quarter, Colchester, Essex, England
The Dutch Quarter in Colchester is in the area bounded by West Stockwell Street, Northgate Street, Maidenburgh Street and High Street (See location map above).
St. Martin's Church, who's tower dates from the 12th Century, is in West Stockwell Street and was badly damaged by cannon fire during the civil war in 1648. The truncated tower was never rebuilt.
Most of the present building dates from the 14th Century.
Jane Taylor (1783-1824), who lived in West Stockwell, Street wrote the well known poem Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
There is a plaque on numbers 11 and 12, shown here, which marks her home from 1796 to 1810.
View from near The Stockwell Arms pub showing the Town Hall tower in the background.
The Stockwell Arms is a medieval building dating back to at least 1380.
|Comment||The Stockwell Arms|