Around St. Peter's Chapel, Bradwell-on-Sea, Essex Location map

 
  Scene showing 7th Century St. Peter's-on-the-Wall chapel, Bradwell-on-Sea, Essex   St. Peter's-on-the-wall chapel was built in the 7th Century, by the Saxons, in the gateway of a Roman fortress - hence the name. The materials from the old fortress were used in the building and, as in Colchester Castle, Roman roof tiles can be seen in the walls.

The chapel cannot be said to be an attractive building but what it lacks aesthetically it makes up for in age at over 1300 years old. This view is from the West.

 

Enlarge Comment  
 
  Scene showing St. Peter's Chapel, Bradwell-on-Sea, Essex   St. Peter's Chapel.

This view is from the East and you can see that the chapel is surrounded by lots and lots of nothingness.

 

 

 

Enlarge Comment  
 
  Scene showing the simple interior, St. Peter's Chapel, Bradwell-on-Sea, Essex   St. Peter's Chapel.

The simple interior. Visitors often remark on the calmness felt in the building and the sense of awe when considering it's history and it is fortunate in that the chapel was built directy over the main gateway to the old roman fort of Othona. Having such a solid base there is no cracking and structiural damage as often occurred with ancient buildings built directly onto soil.

 

 

 

Enlarge Comment  
 
  Photograph of the River Blackwater, Bradwell-on-Sea, Essex   The River Blackwater.

A view of the River Blackwater from the shore near St. Peter's Chapel. There is an obvious muddy path through the short stretch of salt marsh between the chapel and the river.

This 'beach' is made almost entirely of brocken shells from the Common Cockle.

 

 

Enlarge Comment More by the river