Around the river, Stamford (3), Lincolnshire. Location map
 
  The Town Bridge, Stamford, Lincolnshire, England   Stamford, Lincolnshire.

The Town Bridge is the only vehicle crossing over the River Welland in Stamford and connects Stamford and Stamford St. Martins Without. This bridge is 19th century although some stone from the original 12th century bridge remains.

 

 

Enlarge Comment  
 
  View of Stamford Meadows, Stamford, Lincolnshireshire, England   Stamford, Lincolnshire

The River Welland splits into two separate channels in Stamford and these enclose the town meadows making it an island. Access is by footbridges from either side and this view is from within the meadows looking north.

 

 

 

Enlarge Comment  
 
  The River Welland and almshouses, Stamford, Lincolnshire, England   Stamford, Lincolnshire.

This view of the River Welland, seen from the southern bank, shows the Town Bridge from the east.

 

Enlarge Comment  
 
  Rear view of almshouses, Stamford, Lincolnshire, England   Stamford, Lincolnshire.

Groups of almshouses known as callises were founded all about the town by rich wool merchants and this group, known as Lord Burghley's Hospital, is on the south side of the River Welland in Stamford St. Martins. This is a view of the rear of the almshouses.

 

 

 

Enlarge Comment  
 
  Front view of almshouses, Stamford, Lincolnshire, England   Stamford, Lincolnshire.

These almshouses were endowed by Lord Burghley in 1597, and whilst incorporating some elements of the original 12th century hospital, the current building is believed to date from the late 16th or early 17th century. This is the front view of the almshouses.

 

 

 

Enlarge Comment