St. John's College College, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England
This view is across First Court, from the south-east side, and shows the chapel on the far side. One of the chapel entrances can be seen in the far corner.
First Court itself was built between 1511 - 1520.
|Another view of the chapel
Second Court was built between 1589 - 1599. The original design drawings are still in the college's possession.
The obvious tower is The Shrewsbury Tower and just above the doorway is the arms of the Countess of Shrewsbury who paid a major part of the building costs of the court. Just above the arms is also a statue of the Countess.
When New Court, seen on the left, was built on the other side of the River Cam a crossing between it and Third Court, seen on the right, became necessary. The architect took the opportunity of a little romanticism and The Bridge of Sighs came into being. The name stems from the similarity in style with that in Venice.
It is part of the main thoroughfare through the college and is used on a daily basis.
New Court was completed in 1831 having been designed by Thomas Rickman and Henry Hutchinson. It was a very large scheme for its time and was needed to accommodate more students in the early 19th century. It was the first major building to be placed by any college on that side of the river. .
These photographs were taken with the kind assistance of St. John's College.