Hedingham Castle, Castle Hedingham, Essex, England
This Tudor bridge, which spans the now dry moat, was built to replace the original drawbridge by the 13th Earl of Oxford in 1496.
You must cross this bridge to reach the Inner Bailey and the Norman Keep.
Hedingham Castle's magnificent Banqueting Hall spanned by a remarkable 28 foot arch; one of the largest Norman arches in England.
This view is from the Minstrels' Gallery which is built within the thickness of the 12 foot walls.
Other parts of the Minstrels' Gallery can be seen on the far side.
The view from the top floor of Hedingham Castle.
The village of Castle Hedingham can be seen in the right foreground.
The view from the picnic area. The top of the castle can be seen just above the trees.
The grounds are quite extensive and pleasant walks are to be had around the gardens.
The Queen Anne house from across one of the two lakes.
This house was built by Sir William Ashhurst, M.P., Lord Mayor of London and was completed in 1719. The house is private and not open to the public.
The octagonal dovecote, built in 1740, in the castle grounds.