Thaxted (2), Essex, England
Almshouses and John Webb's Windmill.
This little row of Almshouses date from 1713 and looks as though it came straight out of a fairy story. They were in use for about 160 years until 1975 when they were renovated to provide accommodation for three elderly couples.
The Windmill in the distance is John Webb's Windmill.
Ancient timber-framed house, next to the Guildhall, where each of the two upper storeys are jettied in relation to the one below.
Note the pargetting (decorative plasterwork) on the house to the left.
Stoney Street - a narrow cobbled street alongside the Guildhall which leads up to the church. This view is looking towards the town centre with the church behind the camera.
Note the pargetting (decorative plasterwork) on the house to the right.
The notorious highwayman Dick Turpin had brief employment as a butcher's boy in this street.
Colour-washed houses between the church and the windmill.
|More Ancient buildings