New Alresford (1), Hampshire
The town was founded in the 12th Century although the buildings are now mostly Georgian. The name is pronounced 'Allsford'.
This view is in Broad Street facing the church of St. John the Baptist.
Some of the pretty colour-washed houses in East Street
In the 17th and 18th centuries the town was destroyed by fire several times. After the fire of 1763 the town was almost completely rebuilt
There are, apparently, some french people buried here having been prisoners of war from the time of the Napoleonic Wars.
This church also suffered in the fires and had to be rebuilt but a few old Norman bits remain. It has records dating from 1678.
Alresford Railway Station is at one end of the Mid-Hants Railway, a Heritage Railway, also known as the Watercress Line which runs for ten miles with its other terminus being at Alton.
This train is headed by locomotive BR 92212.
|More of the Watercress Line