Dore Abbey, Abbey Dore, Herefordshire, England
Dore Abbey was founded in 1147 and is located close to the River Dore. It was formed as a daughter house of the Cistercian abbey at Morimond in France. Construction of buildings in local sandstone began around 1175 and the design of the church was modelled on that of Morimond, with a presbytery, two chapels, two transepts, a crossing and a nave.
The current church, now renamed as St. Mary's Church and used as the parish church, is much smaller than the original.
The Nave is, in fact, the transepts, crossing and part of the Presbytery of the original abbey church. Bearing in mind that the original nave was comletely demolished in the 16th century that should give an idea of just how large the original abbey church was. The part of the Nave that was demolished was approximately 90 feet long.
The Carolean Screen is across what used to be one of the transepts.
The fact that the current Nave runs North - South should give an indication that something isn't quite right as the Nave would normally run East - West. This view is looking south.
Looking from what is now the Quire into what is now the Presbytery but what was originally the Transepts and Crossing. Gets confusing doesn't it?
Part of the Ambulatory. There are fragments of the original abbey stored along here.
|More of the Abbey