St. Albans (3), Hertfordshire, England
The old Abbey Gatehouse dates from the 14th Century and was the gateway to the original abbey of which this building and the cathedral are the only remnants. It is now part of St. Albans School and is not open to the public although the outside is easily accessible being adjacent to the West End of the cathedral.
St. Michael's Village.
Now incorporated into St. Albans this quaint little village runs downhill with Kingsbury Watermill at the bottom by the little bridge over the River Ver.
|St. Michael's Village
Fishpool Street, with its ancient buildings, leads up from Kingsbury Watermill back into the city centre. Reminders of the city's coaching past can be seen in the high pavements which enabled coach passengers to alight easily.
The street gets it's name from a fishpond which was situated nearby in Medieval times.
|More in Fishpool Street
George Street. The Tudor Tavern, the obvious half-timbered building along on the left, consists of a medieval Inn known as The Swan and part of its neighbour to the west, another medieval inn known as the George.
The oldest part of the Tudor Tavern, now fronting Verulam Road, was built around 1400. The George was known to be in existence in 1401.