Rochester (3), Kent
Minor Cannon Row is terraced housing for the lesser clergy of the cathedral built in 1723.
The Six Poor Travellers House in High Street was a charity house founded in 1579 by local MP Richard Watts to provide free lodging for poor travellers.
This Grade One listed building is no longer used as an almshouse. The accommodation on the upper floors is occupied by the Custodian and the ground floor has been converted into a museum which is open to the public.
Two Post Alley shows how Rochester looked in bygone centuries. The building on the left is Tudor and the one on the right is 18th century and that is part of the castle showing at the back.
The Guildhall in High Street, built in 1687, is now used as a Museum.
|More of the Guildhall
The building now known as the Coopers Arms was built during the reign of Richard 1 (1189-1199). The first recorded inhabitants of the house were the monks from nearby St Andrews priory who were renowned for brewing ales and wine.
After falling into disrepair during the dissolution of the monasteries the Coopers Arms finally opened its doors as an Inn in 1543.