Layer Marney Tower, Layer Marney, Essex, England
Layer Marney Tower seen from across the fields together with its own church to the right.
It is open to the public and there is plenty of room for parking.
The church at Layer Marney Tower is built of Tudor bricks which may have been made locally.
There is a mural of St Christopher, uncovered in 1870, dating from around1520. Also in the church are the tombs of the 1st and 2nd Lords Marney who died in 1523 and 1525 respectively.
Layer Marney Tower showing a rather nice tudor arch.
A quiet country lane near Layer Marney bordered by grassy banks covered in flowering Cow Parsley (Anthriscus sylvestris). A plant commonly found growing on roadside verges.
One of the many 'back' lanes in this part of Essex the surface would, originally, have been level with the fields on either side but over the the centuries it has been worn down by foot and horse traffic. Now that all lanes like this have a maintained tarmacadam surface they no longer sink.
View from a public footpath near Layer Marney Tower showing fields of Oil Seed Rape.