The Old Royal Navy College, Greenwich, London, England
The view from King William Court near the Painted Hall across Grand Square to the Thames and Canary Wharf beyond. King William Court was built between 1696 and 1710.
The Painted hall was designed as a dining hall and is, probably, the finest dining hall in the Western world. It is decorated with paintings by James Thornhill, and is part of the King William Court building.
Thornhill's decoration, for which he was paid by the yard, took nineteen years to complete and he was eventually knighted.
The Chapel of St Peter and St Paul was completed in 1751 and had, originally, a plain interior but in 1779 was gutted by fire. It was rebuilt as you see it now in 1789.
Unlike many churches which are a mixture of styles through the ages, the Chapel is a complete and unaltered neoclassical period piece.
The old and the new - the domes, facades and grounds of the Old Royal Naval College with the new buildings of Canary Wharf, less than a mile away, on the other side of the River Thames.