St. Paul's Cathedral, London
There has been a cathedral on this site since 604 AD and the latest (fourth) incarnation was built around 1700 after the great fire of London destroyed the previous one.
This view is from the south-east. The square tower on the right is the remaining tower of the church of St Augustine, Watling Street, which was otherwise destroyed during World War II.
This view is of the West End showing twelve columns, in six pairs, with a further eight columns above and a prominent tower, 250 feet high, at each side. The bulk of the cathedral is made from Portland stone.
Rather like Southwark Cathedral there is little space around the building which can make photography difficult in places.
This view from the north-east shows the dome and a column with a statue of St. Paul at the top.
Compared with most other cathedrals in this country St. Paul's is relatively modern being a mere 300 years old.
You can see the Stone Gallery just above the pillars with a low railing surrounding around it. This is the lower gallery to which visitors have access
Above the Stone Gallery on the top of the dome is the Golden Gallery. It encircles the base of that square structure and is the higher gallery to which visitors have access.
A typical red telephone box in one corner of the churchyard together with a rather nice flower bed.
This telephone box is also just visible in the top picture on this page.
St. Paul's Cathedral seen from Paternoster Square which is privately owned public space. In 2004 Christopher Wren's 1669 Temple Bar Gate was re-erected here as an entrance way to the plaza. The Square is near the top of a modest hill known as Ludgate Hill, the highest part of the City of London, and is characterised by its pedestrianisation and colonnades.
The Square can trace its origins to medieval Paternoster Row, where the clergy of St Paul's once walked holding their rosary beads and reciting the 'Paternoster', or Lord's Prayer.