The Montgomery area, Montgomeryshire
Montgomery is small but very pleasant town who's history stretches back as far as Roman times. This view is of Broad Street which is also known as the Square and has the Market Hall at the far end.
At the time of writing parking in the Square is free if you can find a space.
This is Arthur Street a turning off Broad Street near the Market Hall. The second building along is the Old Bell Museum which was once a 16th century inn. The name of the museum derives from the old inn and it does not indicate the museums content.
Eleven rooms house displays relating to local history.
This little lane does not appear to have a name; it leads up to the castle ruins and, be warned, it is very steep. The timber-framed building below is the Dragon Hotel. It dates from the 17th century and was a former coaching inn.
The clock tower on the left is on the Market Hall.
St. Nicholas Church is a Norman 13th century grade 1 listed building which can be accessed near Princes Street. Inside it retains a 15th century hammer-beam roof over the west end of the nave and a 16th century wagon roof over the eastern end. The building of the church started in 1227.
This view is from up near the castle.
|More of the church
The castle seen from the south showing one of two modern bridges which substitute for the original drawbridges and give access to visitors.
|More of the castle