Newtown, Montgomeryshire
 
The Market Hall Interior, Newtown, Mongomeryshire
Newtown, Montgomeryshire

The Newtown Market Hall building is Grade II listed and has two main aisles both sides of which are lined with small stalls. This view was taken from a gallery at one end.

Comment  


 
One of the shopping aisles in the Market, Newtown, Mongomeryshire
Newtown, Montgomeryshire

One of the shopping aisles in Newtown Market showing the market stalls.

Comment  


 
13th Century St. Mary's Church, Newtown, Mongomeryshire
Newtown, Montgomeryshire

The 13th century roofless ruins of St. Mary's Church in a peaceful location beside the River Seven. By the early 19th century the church's location beside the Severn was creating serious flooding problems and the growing population of Newtown also meant that the old church was too small. The church was finally abandoned in 1856 and a new church dedicated to St David was erected further away from the river.

Comment  


 
Long Bridge, Newtown, Mongomeryshire
Newtown, Montgomeryshire

From the 14th century the river here was crossed by a wooden bridge. That bridge eventually became too narrow for the traffic it was carrying so the wooden bridge was replaced by a stone one in 1826. This bridge was designed to be a wider structure, but the people paying for it did not want to spend that much money, so a narrower version was built. Unfortunately the bridge proved to be too narrow and there were several serious accidents on it. In 1857 footpaths, supported by iron arches, were added to make the bridge a little less dangerous.

Comment