Historic Buildings (2), Norwich, Norfolk, England
A rather interesting house in Bishopgate and, although within the environs of the city, it has a thatched roof and combines that with Dutch Gables - an unusual combination.
This thatched cottage down St. Swithin's Alley was tucked away behind the church of St. Swithin in St. Benedict Street near the bottom of Cow Lane. It seems a little incongrous really to find a 'country' cottage within the environs of a large city.
It was restored in the 1930s by the Norwich Amenities Preservation Society. This is notable as one of the few ancient buildings within the city walls still retaining a covering of thatch.
A timber-framed house in Princes Street.
Using bricks between the wooden studs was a show of wealth as bricks were very expensive at that time.
Notice that these three buildings are jettied on the first floor.
Augustine Steward's house.
Uneven settlement of the foundations caused the wooden frame of the house to become twisted.
Built in 1530 it is a typical merchant's house where goods were stored in the undercroft, with a shop or workshop on street level and the home of the trader on the upper storey. It is not normally open to the public.
The Plantation Garden.
A restored Victorian town garden which includes a huge gothic fountain and an Italianate terrace. This very interesting and tranquil garden, was established 140 years ago in a 3 acre abandoned chalk quarry by Henry Trevor; a Norwich cabinet maker.
It is situated in Earlham Road next to the Beeches Hotel and very near the Roman Catholic Cathedral.
|More of the Plantation Garden