Tenby (1), Pembrokeshire, Wales
Tenby is a very old settlement and was a town by the time the Normans invaded. Through both the Georgian and Victorian eras Tenby was renowned as a health resort and centre for botanical and geological study and is now a very attractive town which is very popular with tourists.
This view is from Castle Hill looking towards North Beach.
This view shows the harbour with the castle mound beyond and the lifeboat station to the left. As of April 2017, there are 372 listed buildings and other structures in and around Tenby.
Tenby has two excellent sheltered, sandy beaches - North Beach and South Beach.
|More of the Beaches
Cob Lane is one of Tenby's narrow lanes. The more major roads generally have room for two vehicles to pass but the town was never built to accomodate motor vehicles so it is not uncommon for small traffic jams to form but they are normally soon cleared.
|More of the narrow roads.
The 13th century stone curtain wall, towers and gates enclosed a large part of the settlement now known as the "old town". With the construction of the town walls, Tenby Castle was made obsolete and had been abandoned by the end of the 14th century.
In the mid 16th century, the large D-shaped tower known as the "Five Arches" was built following fears of a second Spanish Armada. This is on the right-hand edge of the picture.
|More of the Town Wall
The grey stone house at the back is the Tudor Merchants House dating from 1500 and owned by the National Trust.The building is the oldest house still standing in Tenby and consists of three stories; the lower floor, originally used as a shop by the merchant to conduct his business, the first floor as living quarters for the family and the upper floor for the sleeping quarters.
|More of the Merchants House