Rye (2), Sussex
Built in 1249 the Ypres Tower, together with the church, is one of Rye's oldest buildings. It was originally used to defend Rye from the sea and stands on the old sea cliffs but now that the bay has silted up the sea is two miles distant. It is now used as a museum.
This tower was originally known as Badding Tower and in the late 15th century was considered to be of no further use. It was then sold to a John de Ypres from whom it took its current name.
This view of the narrow High Street is from immediately outside The George Hotel. Traffic along the street is one way in the direction that the camera is pointing and there is a very good selection of shops, tearooms and restaurants.
Vehicular access to High Street is through the Landgate and along Hilder's Cliff.
The Mint is a natural extension of High Street and is lined with attractive ancient buildings.
The novelist Radcliffe Hall once lived in this 15th century house.