Walton-on-the-Naze, Essex, England
Walton, as it is known locally, is on the coast about 8 miles south, in a direct line, from the port of Harwich. It is a small English traditional seaside town with a pier and a sandy beach.
The headland in the distance is the Naze and in the larger view the Naze Tower can also be seen. The Naze is about 1.5 miles north of the pier and there are pleasant walks to be enjoyed on the cliff tops there.
This seat is on the top of Southcliff in a small public garden on the cliff top and the pier can be seen jutting out from the shore. The shore slopes very gently and it is possible to go quite a long way into the sea and still have the water level below your knees.
This garden is not very far from the railway station.
This view is also from the cliff top at Southcliff and the pier can easily be seen.
Walton Pier was originally built in 1830 and was 300 feet long. It was, however, severely damaged in a storm and was replaced with an 800 foot structure in 1895. Since that time extensions have been added because of shoreline changes and the length now is 2,600 feet.
The pier entrance is, one has to admit, a little on the gharish side and inside the large building at this end of the pier is a small indoor funfair. Entrance to the pier is free but it is very noisy inside although walking through the building and out onto the pier structure proper brings peace and quiet once again.
One can walk to the outer end of the pier and back again with good views of the town and beach.
The town, pier and the sandy beach seen from the Naze cliffs. There are, literally, miles of sandy beach here. The distance from the pier, which is visible in the distance just below the horizon, to the Naze is about two miles.
|More of the Naze