More of Witley Court Church, Worcestershire, England
 
The Nave, Witley Court Church, Worcestershire, England, Great Britain
Witley Court Church, Worcestershire.

The interior of this church is truly astonishing. It was built around 1735 with a rather plain interior but in 1774 it was transformed by the addition of stained glass windows and oil on canvas paintings, which were placed insitu on a new curved ceiling, purpose built to hold the central painting. This painting is stretched onto a wooden curved frame.

Comment  


 
The Ceiling, Witley Court Church, Worcestershire, England, Great Britain
Witley Court Church, Worcestershire.

The ceiling showing the central painting - 'The Ascension'.The moulds for the wall and ceiling decorations were taken from elsewhere and recreated using papier mache.

Comment  


 
The Foley Monument, Witley Court Church, Worcestershire, England, Great Britain
Witley Court Church, Worcestershire.

The Foley Monument, sculpted by Michael Rysbrack, dates from 1737 and is one of the tallest funerary monuments in the country.

Comment  


 
Old Lead Coffins in the Crypt, Witley Court Church, Worcestershire, England, Great Britain
Witley Court Church, Worcestershire.

In 2012 three of the vaults in the crypt were opened by the Museum of London Archaeology Service to reveal nine lead coffins in various states of decay. These coffins are part of that discovery.

Comment  


 
A Clock from 1804, Witley Court Church, Worcestershire, England, Great Britain
Witley Court Church, Worcestershire.

The 1804 Samuel Thorp, the village clockmaker, was commisioned to make this tower clock which has now been restored and is now in working order. It can be seen in the Crypt.

Comment