Ancient Structures, Worcester, Worcestershire, England
The Tudor House Museum.
This museum is set in a fine example of a close-studded 16th century timber framed building with the only remaining original embossed ceiling in Worcester. The history is fascinating as it was once a collection of small weavers cottages that might have later housed small traders or craftsmen such as cobblers before being converted to a single building.
A rather fine Timber-Framed building who's origins are from the late 15th to the late 16th centuries.
The name 'Greyfriars House' is really a misnomer since it was incorrectly believed to be associated with the medieval Franciscan Friary (hence the name Friar Street) but in reality was a merchants house of the late 15th century.
It is thought it was originally built around 1485 by Thomas Grene a brewer and High Bailiff of Worcester from 1493-1497.
|More of Greyfriars House
The first guildhall on the site was a timber-framed structure constructed as a meeting place for local merchants in about 1227. In 1717 civic leaders decided to replace the building with a grander structure and the current building, designed by Thomas White in the Queen Anne style, was completed in 1723.
|More of the Guildhall
The Commandery has been used for many different purposes over the many years it has been around. These include: a church, a house, a monastic hospital, hotel, and a museum open to the public.
The Commandery is said to have been founded between 1085 and 1285. It served as an almshouse as well as a place of hospitality for pilgrims and other travellers and was most probably founded by the Order of St John of Jerusalem, the Knights Hospitaller, who named their administrative areas commanderies.
Part of the old City Wall. Worcester's city walls are defensive structures built around the city of Worcester between the 1st and 17th centuries. The first walls to be built around Worcester were constructed by the Romans.
New walls, completed in the early 13th century, were constructed of stone and had three main gates. They were maintained in good condition into the 17th century.