York Minster (1), York, Yorkshire, England
The tower of York Minster seen from Dean's Park to the north of the Minster. In 1407 the central tower collapsed during a storm and was rebuilt between 1420 and 1465. The tower is 200 feet high, as are the two towers at the West End, and there are 275 steps to the top (visitors are allowed access).
In 1967 a survey that revealed the building, in particular the central tower, was close to collapse so work was carried out to reinforce and strengthen the building foundations.
One of the first things you will see on entering the building is the 15th century Quire Screen, showing statues of the kings of England from Willam the Conqueror to Henry VI, separating the choir from the crossing and nave. It was built in the fifteenth century and above is the relatively modern organ dating from 1832
The Nave, seen from the West End, was built between 1291 and 1350 and is decorated in the Gothic style. It is the widest Gothic nave in England and contains several examples of Norman stained glass on both the north and south sides.
The roof is made of wood and painted to resemble stone.
|More of York Minster
The Chapter House was built in the Decorated Gothic style and is octagonal in shape. It was begun in 1260, completed in 1286 and its walls contain some of the Minster's finest carvings - most dating from 1270 to 1280.
There are seven windows, among the oldest in York Minster, with Medieval stained glass dating from 1270.
|More of the Chapter House