Pembridge, the Black and White Villages, Herefordshire.

Location map
 
  Ye Olde Steppes, Pembridge, Herefordshire, England   Ye Olde Steppes, Pembridge.

Ye Olde Steppes dates from about 1528-1564 and was possibly a rectory until 1777. Old stone steps lead from the market place onto the knoll which is the churchyard.

Pembridge is about 3 miles due west of Eardisland and, like Eardisland, is also on the River Arrow.

 

Enlarge Comment  
 
  The Church of St. Mary, Eardisland, Herefordshire, England   Church of St. Mary, Pembridge.

Nothing is known of the original Norman church which stood on the same site as the existing church. All that remains of it are the two built-up 12th century arches in the North and South walls of the Chancel.

The current church dates from the 14th century and has a detached Bell Tower which dates from the same period and is reminiscent of the stave churches of Norway.

 

Enlarge Comment  
 
  The Old Market Stand, Pembridge, Herefordshire, England   The Old Market Hall, Pembridge.

This timber framed building, which has been dated using dendrochronology to 1520, is not really a market hall, but merely a covered market. The pillars are oak and support a roof tiled with stone slates.

Behind the Market Hall is 'The New Inn'. Ironically this inn is one of the oldest in the county dating from early 17th century. It was previously called 'Cooke's Public House' and used to be the court house before becoming a public house.

Enlarge Comment  
 
  The Kings House, Pembridge, Herefordshire, England   16th Century Kings House, Pembridge.

Note that the timber framing is more close-set in this 16th century building than in the previously mentioned "New Inn" above which is 100 years later.

This was originally the "Greyhound Inn" and was possibly named after a mail coach which ran between London and Birmingham which was also named the "Greyhound". The Greyhound has been out of use as a public house for many years but is now a resturant known as 'The Kings House'.

Enlarge Comment