Anglesey Abbey, Lode, Cambridgeshire, England
Anglesey Abbey was well establised by the 13th century but was dissolved by Henry VIII in 1535. It passed into private hands at the turn of the 17th century and was transformed into a country house and gardens.
The gardens hold a number of surprises of which this is at the end of the long, winding path through the Winter Garden and is a remarkable place with the white tree trunks almost glowing in the deep shade.
|More of the Winter Garden
Following the path round to the right through the Silver Birch Grove above brings us to this little water mill. The mill is normally open from one o'clock but it was closed when we were there due to a shortage of volunteers.
There has been a mill on this site since at least 1086 when it was recorded in the Domesday Book but the present building dates from the eighteenth century.
This semi-circular area enclosed by hedges was displaying an amazing variety of blooms and colours when we were there.
|More of the Herbaceous Garden
This garden is quite large at about 114 acres although quite a lot of it is parkland and is now home to one of the finest collections of historic statuary in the country.
|More of Anglesey Abbey