Bishops Waltham (1), Hampshire
 
Upper Basingwell Street, Bishops Waltham, Hampshire, England, Great Britain
Bishops Waltham, Hampshire.

Bishops Waltham is a Medieval town and was the seat of the Bishops of Winchester in Medieval times. A lot of it appears to have been rebuilt since then but there are still some very interesting ancient buildings.

Upper Basingwell Street is rather narrow and attractive street, leading away from Bank Street, and is in the area near St. Peter's Church.

Comment More street views


 
Timber-Framed Buildings, Bishops Waltham, Hampshire, England, Great Britain
Bishops Waltham, Hampshire.

16th Century half-timbered buildings in Bank Street, Bishops Waltham.

Note the jettied upper storey on the nearest building.

Comment  


 
The Entrance to St. Peter's Churchyard, Bishops Waltham, Hampshire, England, Great Britain
Bishops Waltham, Hampshire.

The entrance to St. Peter's Churchyard, Bishops Waltham.

This building is of Norman origin with later additions and alterations.

Comment  


 
St. Peter's Church, Bishops Waltham, Hampshire, England, Great Britain
Bishops Waltham, Hampshire.

St. Peter's Church, Bishops Waltham.

The 14th Century clock, seen halfway up the tower, came from the Bishop's Palace during the civil war. Its pendulum weighs 6 cwt (hundredweights) and is the third heaviest in the world.

Comment  


 
The Bishops Palace, Bishops Waltham, Hampshire, England, Great Britain
Bishops Waltham, Hampshire.

The Bishop's Palace.

A moated Bishop's residence built in 1136 by Henry de Blois who's tomb is in the Quire of Winchester Cathedral.

It was destroyed, reconstructed as a palace, then fortified during the Civil War which led, again, to its destruction. The ruined buildings that remain date mainly from the 15th century.

This view is looking into the Great Hall from the service rooms near the kitchen.

This site has its own free car park.

Comment More of the ruined palace