Hastings Castle, Hastings, Sussex
 
The Castle, Hastings, Sussex, England, Great Britain
Hastings, Sussex.

The original castle built in 1066 by the Normans was made of timber but was replaced by a stone-built structure a relatively short time afterwards.

There is little of this stone structure left although there are some dungeons hewn in to the sandstone underground which are accessible.

This archway is part of St. Mary's Chapel.

Comment  


 
The Sally Port Tower, The Castle, Hastings, Sussex, England, Great Britain
Hastings, Sussex.

King John issued orders that the castle be destroyed to prevent it falling into the hands of the french but around 1220 Henry III had it re-fortified.

Violent storms in 1287 battered the coast for many months and the soft sandstone cliffs eventually succumbed with large sections of the cliff falling into the sea together with some parts of the castle.

The fragment on the left is part of the Sally Port Tower.

Comment  


 
The Outer Curtain Wall, The Castle, Hastings, Sussex, England, Great Britain
Hastings, Sussex.

Eventually the site became so overgrown that it was forgotten but was then rediscovered in 1824. The rather fragmented remains were excavated and finds included several coffins and well preserved remains within a surviving vault.

Repairs to the structure were carried out and the site became a favourite attraction for the many Victorians visiting the seaside towns of southern England. This photograph shows part of the outer curtain wall.

Comment  


 
The Castle, Hastings, Sussex, England, Great Britain
Hastings, Sussex.

Unfortunately during the World War II the castle suffered yet more damage by bombing and in 1951 the Hastings Corporation purchased the site and opened it to the public.

Comment