Conwy Castle, Caernarfonshire, Wales
This view is from the other side of the river, near Llandudno Junction, showing the town to the right of the castle. The castle took only five years to build and the castle's commanding position on a rocky outcrop overlooking the estuary gave it a considerable military advantage.
The two rectangular towers nearest the camera are at each end of Robert Stevenson's railway bridge which was built between 1803 and 1859 and was officially opened in 1849.
This is how conwy appears when approaching the town from the north by road. The impressive castle towers over the road and although the road has two lanes it eventually has to pass through one of the original gates in the wall which reduces its width to just one lane.
A small part of Thomas Telford's suspension bridge can be seen to the left of the road.
This view is from the top of one of the shorter towers, like the two immediately in front of the camera, showing the four tallest towers at the far end, the remains of the Great Hall on the right and the Outer Ward, the area with the grass, on the left.
The stone strip running across the grass is the outer edge of what was the Kitchen and Stables and the small area in shadow, at the far end of the grass, enclosed by metal railings is the castle well.