Lavenham, Suffolk, England
The church of St. Peter & St. Paul, Lavenham.
This is, obviously, a very grand parish church indeed. Dating from the 15th Century it was paid for by several rich Lavenham clothiers and the Lord of the Manor. It was built on the site of an earlier church and the present building is of the late perpendicular style.
This church can be seen for miles around with its tower punctuating the skyline.
One of England's finest medieval towns - its buildings were constructed between 1400 and 1500.
The building on the corner is The Swan Inn, where we stayed on our visit to Lavenham, which in 1830 had stabling for fifty horses and was created from three houses during the 17th Century. The original houses, however, date from the 15th Century.
|More of lavenham
Some of the historic buildings in Lady Street, Lavenham.
Note the jettied upper storeys on two of the houses.
Lady Street leads from Water Street up to the Market Place and the white building at the very top on the right is one end of the Guildhall.
Guildhall of Corpus Christi, Lavenham.
This amazing Tudor building, situated in the Market Square, was built around 1530. It is now managed by the National Trust and is open to the public.
There were originally three guilds founded in Lavenham to regulate the wool trade and the carved rampant lion on the doorpost is the emblem of the Guild.
The Old Wool Hall, Lavenham.
This building is on the corner of Water Street and Lady Street and now forms part of The Swan Inn.
|More ancient buildings